I saw fireworks when we finally kissed for the first time!


It was November 26, 1975.
It was on the Southeast Side of Chicago.
In my Aunt Claire's backyard.
It was 6:30pm and it was snowing huge flakes!

I saw fireworks when we finally kissed for the first time!
I do something "Special" each year for this occasion. The most memorable was the 25th anniversary of our first kiss. I sent her 25 yellow carnations (yellow is her favorite color and carnations are her favorite flower) to her place of employment. I had the florist tie a Hershey Kiss to each stem!This past August 4th, 2009 was our 30 year wedding anniversary!
This November 26th will be the 34 year anniversary of our First Kiss! I still see fireworks! Her kisses should be registered as a lethal weapon!


Here is a picture from this September 2009 when we took a break from our bike ride!
This girl and I have been best friends for a long time, I’ve loved her for nearly a year, and even though I knew she liked me a lot, she had decided not to get together, and I was trying to respect that decision. She and I had been hanging out all that day, and that day especially, I noticed how amazing she was... I mean, I always noticed, but that day I couldn’t not notice it. We went to my place after school, had some popcorn and talked to my parents, went for a walk around my neighborhood, went back to my place and played some guitar. I was being driven crazy with all this pent-up romantic energy. We leave my house to go to hers, about a half-hour walk, and she’s singing opera for me, and she has the most beautiful voice. At one point, as she’s singing, she’s walking along, the sun’s setting behind her, and it silhouettes her and shines off her hair, and I’m so struck by her beauty that I completely slow down, captivated. I tell her, “You have to do me a favor.
Right now, like a third of me just wants to kiss you like nothing else, and the other two thirds are like,

‘What, dude? That’s a horrible idea!’ So I need you to stop me if I do it.” I got a call from a friend right at that moment, asking about this party I’d had to blow off. So I field the call, and I get off as quickly as I can. Turn back to her. “So promise me this, okay?” “Okay.”

We get back to her house, we play some music, and we go out for her going-away dinner. After a few disappointments, we (she, her mom, and I) finally find somewhere good to eat, enjoy our dinner, and head back. It’s nighttime by now, so we light a fire in her backyard. It’s just the two of us, alone in the moonlight, the firelight, on the swing, with her acoustic guitar. We spend at least half an hour just playing songs for each other, slowly getting more personal with them, her treading into the softest, prettiest ones, and my favorites, me playing new romantic ones. After one of the songs, I stand up and put the guitar in her case. Sit back down leaning up against her. We joke around a little, tickling and stuff, and I end up leaning my head against her shoulder, half laying down. She starts singing to me, beautiful things that sound so much better for the mood of it all. I begin to stare into the night sky, which is one of our many shared passions. We stare together at Venus (perfect, no?). I tell her how much I’ll miss her, how she’s the best friend I’ve ever had and probably will ever have, and thank you so much. She says her own things along those lines, and as I lay there, head against her shoulder, I kind of hug her leg and we keep staring into the night. I look over, and I can tell she’s deep in thought. I ask her what she’s thinking about. “Your thirds,” she tells me. I sit up, lean near her so that our faces are on the same level. She looks away. “What do you think about them?” She tells me she doesn’t know. I lean in, so our faces are only a few inches apart. “What would you do if I were to kiss you right now?” She whimpers. I reach across her face, gently press my fingers against her cheek, and turn her face towards mine. She does not resist, she even follows, but her face she seems to shake. I brush the hair out of her face. Kiss her cheek. Tell her, “I don’t want to do this if you don’t want to.”

Silence.

I lean in. So does she.
- anonymous, 15, NV